Biography and Credentials
Biography and Credentials
• First Credential: I'm old. I was born in 1942. You can figure that out.
• Taught hatha yoga in the 1970s
• Have practiced yoga daily (except during the time of my back problems) since 1971
- Second Degree Black Belt. Instructor: Horton Newsom, 5th Degree.
- Kung Fu San Soo Fourth Degree Black Belt
- Filipino Martial Arts (sticks) Blue Belt
- Gumdo (Korean Sword) Yellow Belt
• ATA Taekwondo Certified Level 3 instructor
• ATA Taekwondo Licensed Club owner
• ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer since 2016
• ISSA Certified in Senior Fitness in 2019
• ISSA Certified Yoga Instructor 2021
• Level 1 Instructor Certification for Warrior Krav Maga
• Level 1 Instructor Certification for Warrior Kick Boxing
• Have been teaching Senior Self-Defense since October 2015
- Filipino Combat Systems, 2016, 2017
- Vegetarian Sports Nutrition, 2016
- Marital Fitness Kickboxing, 2016
- Facilitated Stretching, 2016
- Pencak Silat Mande Muda Seminar in Bandung, Indonesia (May 2019)
• Student of Filipino Martial Arts (Kali) (since July, 2017)
• Student in Pencak Silat Mande Muda
• Still working for the software company I started. Was (happily) deposed by my older son as CEO.
Early Life (see first “credential” bullet point above).
Other than that, I played the normal sports in the 1940s and 1950s. I was a pretty good pitcher until I quit when I got hit by a line drive in the arm. Didn’t see it coming. Found out I was blind as a bat. Even with glasses, I had a fear of small, fast, round things that took me a few decades to get over.I tried out for basketball and football in high school. Each lasted a single season where I was the last on the bench. So my certification at this time was as a non-athletic nerd. I was afraid of everything.
- BS in Mathematics, BA in Medical Technology, both about 1,000 years ago
- MBA (Finance) a few years after the above
- DBA ABD. For those of you who don't know, ABD means All But Dissertation. My dissertation and inability to walk (see Home page) happened about the same time. I didn't even feel like moving at that time. I empathize with people with chronic pain. I had to literally stand all day during this time. You can imagine what it was like during at those special times when sitting is really required to complete a biological task. Picture a board. It's a distant memory now.
- Started a software company, MIMICS, Inc., in 1976 and it is still going strong. It has allowed me to see a good part of the world and to understand as much as possible, other cultures.
See first page and credentials above. To summarize it, these years are the best of my life except for the child-rearing years. I have found that I’ve gone from walking in a supermarket hunched over the cart to being able to move like I never had before. As you have read above, I was a nerd in high school. I was too self-conscious to learn to dance, something that has slowed my progress in martial arts. I had to learn to move the hard way. I think that now I could really learn how to dance since martial arts require the same sort of movements. Life is great!